Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It's not that different...

There is too much hate in this world, already, to begin to hate people who just love others.

I started today working on homework for my German Class. For some reason, I started thinking about gay rights. *Gay rights is more than just marriage, but because it seems like people focus only on that, I choose to do so here too. Please remember that gay rights is also the fight to end discrimination of homosexuals in the work place, end hate crimes of homosexuals around the world, and so much more than just marriage rights. *

I find that gay rights really align paralleled to any historical 'equal rights' battle across this nation. Women have not even had the right to vote for 100 years now, it was only 43 years ago yesterday that Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated for his participation in Civil rights. If you believe women voting is a good thing and if you believe that Civil Rights is also a good thing, then what makes gay marriage so different?

Marriage is a personal act. A personal act between two people. Everyone is entitled to their feelings on homosexuality, but when it comes to marriage, I believe no one is entitled to say who marries whom. No one except for the people getting married, now they are really entitled to say something.

Now, I understand the whole religious perspective, I do. But religion and government should not play a role in each other. End of story. Yet- I know that is impossible, since peoples morals and ideals are part of their thinking process. And those morals and ideals usually stem from religious backgrounds. I'm asking people to take a step back, would their God hate people for loving people?

The last thing I ever want anyone to do is to hate others just because of whom they love. If Jane loves Jenny, then who am I to say no? If Bob loves Jim, then what is the matter? As long as both of them are respectful and kind to each other, then it is not a problem to me. It just seems so silly of me to hate someone because of love. It's ironic. And backwards.

Feminism and women's rights advocates fight for gay rights. And should fight for gay rights, not only because some women are lesbians, but because the women's fight has been in the same situation in maybe a different medium, time and time before. We can help their movement, and with that, create our movement, where our people are free to do what they please and where love is treated as such, and not hated.

"You know, we're not so different, you and I. "

No comments:

Post a Comment