Thursday, April 7, 2011

Relationship Advice for BOTH genders

My ex put this "funny" list on his personal Facebook page. Please take a moment or two to skim it before reading my list.

1. First off, women should not conform to your standards to date you. Also not all women date men. If you keep this up, women are going to end up being "better" than you and making more than you, and only use you in the form as a sperm bank. Do you really want that?

2. These are petty, petty issues, that really shouldn't matter to you or her or the happiness of your relationship.

3. I will cut my hair if I damn please. You are not a stylist/fashion police, you even say so in this list. If you don't like our hair short, deal with it. This shouldn't be an argument of why guys don't like to get married. Again, see 2.

4. We're not here to be your calendar. I don't want to remind you time and time again, year after year that my birthday is on December 20th. That's one date you should never forget. Period. We don't expect you to know every date, but we do expect you to know your own. I'm not your secretary, if you have something due for work or school, don't expect me to remind you. (Goes both ways!) Ladies who expect men to remember dates, see #2.

5. That's sad if you can't sympathize with anyone. Are you that cold? No, you have emotions. I know you do. Society has taught you to repress them, and can I say something? If your girlfriend/wife/significant other really loves you, you can cry in front of her and she won't care.

6. We can't trust you to hold your word for more than seven days, alright and you wonder why we 'nag' about you checking out other girls? What doesn't connect in that brain of yours?

7. OOGLING IS NOT GENETIC; IT'S DISRESPECTFUL AND DISGUSTING.

8.Christopher Columbus did need directions. He thought America was India...

9. If our relationship isn't going to be the same as the first two months, expect #3. Refer to #2 for any other issues about this.

10. We will follow these rules, if you do. Most of these go both ways.

Some of the list is funny, but some of it is offensive. Gender roles are not genetic, they are learned. Society teaches women to act a certain way and society teaches men to act a certain way. I perfectly understand a few of these 'rules', so I do follow them. Don't bug a guy during a sports game, ask for what you want, deal with the toilet seat, understanding no one is a mind reader, etc.

Can I point out an obvious flaw in this whole argument? The fact that these guys can not just tell these girls what bugs them, they have to put it online! Every relationship needs communication and it needs to be open and honest on both sides. okay? That isn't a feminist view, that's a human view. And until you learn how to share your feelings, your girlfriend is not going to know what is wrong with it, we're not mind readers either!

And hello??? If you are relying on your girlfriends to be the only one to deal with problems, then you are going to have these petty problems and complaints from them. SUCK IT UP AND WORK FOR THE RELATIONSHIP. If we are dating you, we don't care if you have 'feminine' traits. ha. feminine.

This goes for any relationship, if you aren't willing to talk about the problems, then you aren't ready for the relationship.

2 comments:

  1. So, I read that list and oh, my.... I found it oddly hilarious and completely egotistical. I loved your rendition of it, totally spot on. (My favorite part being that Columbus did indeed need directions. Sooo funny.)

    In my opinion, I'm sure that list that you referred to was made by a man as his own way to "reclaim is masculinity." Think about it - most men make fun of other men because of being "whipped" within a relationship. It makes complete sense to me.

    Anyway, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men and women's thought processes can seem a world apart when it comes to relationships, so hopefully this relationship advice for men will come in useful. Check out the links below for great advice. Relationship Advice For Men

    ReplyDelete