Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Women's Contribution to the Internet World

Today in class, I learned about Women's contribution to the web.

I presented on Corvida Raven, and you can find my presentation (prezi format!) here.

I learned a lot about a few people here and there. Do you know a woman co-founded flickr? I didn't. Her name is Caterina Fake.

Another woman we learned about was Beth Kanter, and she is doing so much social justice work it is amazing. More about her here.

There was a few thoughts going through my head while my classmates were presenting. WHY DO WE NOT KNOW ABOUT THESE WOMEN!?!? Why do we only learn about Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and Bill from Myspace?

Well, hello. Those are SOCIAL sites. But the sites that woman normally work on, those sites are trying to change the world. Much like Ory Okolloh who is an exective director of the activist group that developed software to report human rights violations on your cell phones called Ushahidi. That made me feel a little better.

Women may not be getting the media time, but they are making better contributions than say the time eater of facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment