Thursday, April 28, 2011

In the words of a Swarthmore graduate

A woman told Betty Friedan in the 1960s that Friedan later published in "The Feminine Mystique" that her work was 'worth the unhappiness.'

She was one of the rare women in Friedan's book that was creating dreams different from becoming a wife and having children. I related to this statement very much.

Last semester when I was a boring business management major, when my studies did not inspire me to think, at all and when the only thing I looked forward to was my Women's Studies class. I had this one may call it epiphany.

Why should I be unhappy in my personal life and my work? That's not very productive. I remember laying in bed thinking that I was destined to unhappiness.

The epiphany came in Accounting class. As I was sitting there, doing my German homework and half listening to the professor drone on about debits and credits and accounts receivable. I just realized that my life was not meant to be dealing with hard, precise facts and selling or buying stocks. It was not supposed to be spent at an office desk everyday from 9 to 5. I needed something challenging, something that made me feel like I was alive, make me think that I was around to, well, do something.

So I made the decision right then and there that I was just going to go with it. I was going to be a women's studies major. Since then, Friedan interviewee explains the rest so well:

"Your mind begins to expand. You find your own field. And that's a wonderful thing. The love of doing the work and the feeling there's something there and you can trust it."

No comments:

Post a Comment