Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Yes, you do have a choice...and it's all yours

Remember when I wrote about how I wasn't going to shave anymore? (That post here.)

Well I started shaving again. It got way too uncomfortable being that long and bushy everywhere. Although I still don't shave my legs as much as some girls and I only trim up the other areas. I realized that I have a choice in my beauty. Of what I do, of where I shave and don't shave and that society (and other individuals) may press me to do more, I am not hurting anyone by shaving, or not shaving, or trimming, or wearing makeup, or not wearing makeup, or spending money on clothes, or stealing clothes from dumpsters to save money.

You are wondering why I have this topic in my mind again. It's because this article was shown to me and got me thinking.

For the people who do not like to read, my favorite quote from the article that sums up my feelings about beauty and shaving:

Though the song was written in just a few minutes, Palmer feels it has a deeper meaning -- yes, we're talking about pubic hair freedom now. "I've been really shocked and distressed to find out that 8- and 9-year-old girls are getting all their pubic hairs waxed off by their mothers," she says. "I think if I have any purpose at all, it's to stand up there and say, 'Oh, no, no, no, no, girls. You totally have a choice. You can wax it, you can shave it, you can grow it out, and this really is up to you.' That's the way that I feel about everything, that you just need to know there's a choice out there."
I agree with this artist, you really do have a choice with everything you do. Especially with beauty, if you don't want to conform to the standards, don't. If you do, then do. You are the only one that has to deal with your hair (unless you are rich enough to hire someone to do that on a daily, hourly basis). You are the only one to look at the mirror and see yourself everyday (granted you look in a mirror everyday, sometimes I don't). But you are the one that deals with you, so make those choices about yourself for you.

I'll leave you non-readers with the video and song the article was talking about, too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment