Saturday, June 25, 2011

Say 'Yes' to normal, not special episodes

Okay. We all know about how our media shows super thin women on tv and not what real women look like.

TLC has a show called 'Say Yes to the Dress', it's about really rich people looking for their perfect wedding dress. I'm not kidding. I've seen a few episodes just because the dresses are absolutely gorgeous. (I hate the ideas of wedding though, remember? Here.)

But a few days ago I was flipping channels and I stopped on TLC. One of the commercials was showing that there was a new program to 'Say Yes to the Dress' called 'Big Bliss.' It featured plus size women finding their wedding dress!

At first, I thought it was really cool. But I couldn't grip why I did not like the idea entirely.

But here's why:

Being full-size isn't a special. Why should they have their own episode? Being small certainly isn't special either. It's just a body type. Why do they need their own episode, why is it a big deal that they are BIG? Why can't they just be on the 'regular' show with the other regular people? Please. I just don't understand why we need to market 'full-sized' shows. Weight loss reality shows are a little different, but that's another issue I'm sure I will post on later.

Equality of representation does not mean different representation. We are all different sized people, but to emphasize that to 'prove' that your are 'not' fitting in with the media representation of super thin ladies by making a BIG deal about one episode about BIG WOMEN. really? That just shows that you do show super thing ladies on your regular episodes.

Let's just include different sized women on DIFFERENT EPISODES together. Treat size like a physical trait, like eye color or hair color. I don't see Blonde Bliss episodes or brown eyed beauties bliss episodes.

If someone told me I was chosen to be on a show because of my shoe size or my hair color or my eye color or my big boobs for a special episode on that trait...I would be like....offended, not complimented.

Making it a special episode makes it seem like it's not good enough to be on the regular episode. Like the 'thin women' are better and deserve more time and episodes.


No comments:

Post a Comment