Monday, June 20, 2011

How To Lose your Virginity...or not.

Virginity.

It's held up there on a pedestal.

What does virginity mean?

"a state of being a virgin"

Well, hmmm. That doesn't tell us much.

Virgin: "originally meant a woman who has never had sexual intercourse"

Nowdays, it means anyone that has not had sexual intercourse.

The debate now is what is sexual intercourse. (I included a link of the wikipedia article for some 'professional' definitions.)

Some say, anything with the word sex. "Sex is sex, oral sex is sex...." Someone told me my freshman year of college. I didn't agree with her at the time. I asked her: "So what is a virgin then?" And she said "anyone that hasn't had sex."

But did she mean, "sex sex" or "oral sex" or "anal sex." And where do handjobs fall in there? What about masturbation?

Another girl told me that survivors of sexual assault are not 'virgins', ever. Because they are all 'sluts' and if they weren't when the assault occurred, "they are now, because good girls don't get raped."

So to be a 'good girl' you have to be a virgin? I don't understand this connection.

Okay, maybe I don't understand a lot of this argument. I don't know exactly what sexual intercourse means, I don't understand how to lose your virginity, I don't understand what makes you a virgin, and now I really do not know what a good girl is.

It seems that virginity is held on a higher pedestal for women, too. It's more acceptable for men to have sex and not be a virgin than it is women to. Just look at the language: Men are called players, pimps, 'the man'. Women are called whores, sluts, naughty.

See what I mean? Even being a virgin is somewhat sexist!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment