Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Reading Recommendations

Wanted to share a few books/novellas that I loved reading for class in case anyone was interested:

Red Earth by Philip H. Red Eagle
Recently read this for my American Indian Literature class.

Be prepared to want to read it again and again because you catch little things the author puts in. By the third time I read it, I was amazed at how talented this author is at storytelling. It's about the Vietnam war and American Indian traditions. It was not what I expected. But I loved it.

Coming to Age in Mississippi by Anne Moody


I read this for my Women In History class.


Definitely a great read, it's inspiring and upsetting. It makes you want to fight for what you believe in. It's an autobiography of a young African American women that grew up...in guess, Mississippi.

19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult


I read this book for pleasure my senior year of high school.


It really affected me. I stopped trying to fit in and started saying nice things about the people that I knew. It shows how bullying affects everyone in the school, the community and the people around. It's a beautiful and sad story, but definitely one to read.


The Color Purple


This is a great book as it shows the forms that oppression can take. (And all those forms!) I loved it because of the relationships. The movie is so nicely done too. Definitely worth your time!!

1 comment:

  1. If I had read 19 minutes in high school, I don't think I ever would have gone back. (Thankfully I was already graduated by the time it came out!)

    ReplyDelete