Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hairless Beauties....BUT DON'T SHAVE YOUR HEAD!!!

DISCLAIMER: This may be a little too much information, but I warned you.

Today as I forgot to grab my razor to go in to the shower, yet again for the 7th time in a row, I realized how our society asks women to shave their body hair off to be beautiful. Last summer, for the first time since I was 12 years old, I let my pubic hair grow out for a whole month! It was one of the most freeing things I have done! At first I thought it was going to be so uncomfortable, but I actually liked it. (I have since, then trimmed!)

It's interesting how people assume because I am a Women's Studies major that I am a traditional feminist and how they assume that I do not follow beauty standards, like shaving your legs/armpits/body. I don't shave my legs because I do not have the time, not because I am a feminist. I do not shave my armpits because I forget my razors, not because I am a feminist.

But today, as I forgot my razor, once again, I thought, you know what? I am just gonna stop shaving there.

And then as I sat there doing my hair (on my head) I realized that although I get tons of compliments on my thick blonde hair, I really actually hate doing it...So maybe I should stop that too.

Women must be hairless in our society to be beautiful, but they dare not to shave their heads...

Is beauty a social construct or an individual one? People say that 'beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.' But is that really true? I'm starting to think NO.

Now, I know, I'm a lucky person. I'm gonna admit it right here and right now. I'm actually attractive. I have my bad days with body issues, but I have never suffered from low-self esteem in the body department. I have always thought I was beautiful. There are things that I want to change at random times of my life, but it's never really made me suffer self-esteem wise.

I'm also lucky because my beauty is one from the social construct. I have blue eyes and blonde hair. This is what society usually shows as attractive. For the record, I have always wanted to be an Audrey Hepburn beauty, but I have settled on Marilyn Monroe.

Tomorrow, I am going to shave my body for the last time. Not for forever, just until I decide that I can be beautiful with out changing what my body gives me. (in hair terms, I sell makeup so I can't give that up)

My last question: Does this now make me a traditional feminist? haha


2 comments:

  1. Hannah,

    This is some awesome writing! I wish you the best of luck and you definitely are BEAUTIFUL! :)

    As for your question, I say NO. A traditional feminist fought for the right to vote and equal pay at factory jobs, a traditional feminist fought for a spot in congress and having an identity outside of being a housewife.

    You may be a modern feminist, but that is really hard to define, because the term defers depending on where in the world you are. What you definitely are is an individual with the right to make her own choices, that is something you should be proud of. Because some women do not get that right.

    This comment is definitely much longer than I originally intended, so I'm gonna stop now... Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me chuckle, as I never have time to shave my legs in the mornings before class, so I sometimes use my being a feminist as an excuse for never shaving my legs, never letting anyone know that I'm actually *that* lazy. Haha. It can work both ways. =P

    ReplyDelete