Thursday, March 3, 2011

girl=dumb, blonde=dumb, Hannah=MAD

Ever been called stupid because of your gender? Yes.

Ever been called stupid because of your hair color? Yep.

In seventh grade a guy told me that I didn't know anything because I am a girl. So when our math tests came back the next week and I got a much better score then him, I was pleased to say that he was very wrong with me 'not knowing anything'. From then on, I worked very hard to be 'good' at school and I have succeeded.

I feel like I need to be an example to my gender, everyday. When I have a bad day, people blame it on because I am a girl. When guys have a bad day, they have a bad day. I never hear about PMS, or PPMD or whatever they make up next with guys. So I've gotten very good at hiding my feelings around people because I know they'll minimize my feelings to 'oh it's just PMS'.

No, it's not PMS. It's because you are a butthole.



I feel like I can't ask questions either. Because if the answer is an obvious one to others, they'll say 'it's okay, Hannah. You are blonde.' No, actually it's because I am not informed. Not because I am blonde.

We need to have a serious talk with people. Hitler did the same thing as that, marking people as 'undesirable' because of their religion, race, eye color, abilities, etc. I'm not saying people are going to go around committing genocide on 'dumb blondes'. I'm pointing out that it's the same logic that the Nazi's used to kill millions of people. People need to stop assuming qualities just because of a culture, religion, race, sexuality, and even hair color.

People need to stop assuming that I'm dumb because I am blonde. I have a high GPA, I am graduating in 3 years and not 4 years, I have never failed a course. I'm smart. And I'm blonde. If that doesn't fit your standards of stupid, that means your standards are stupid.

And people have tried telling me that I should just die my hair if I am bothered that much. I say, No. I am NOT changing for other people. I'll change for myself.

*I apologize for the radical Hitler analogy, I know it's an exaggeration. And what he did was much worse than being called stupid for being blonde, but you have to admit, it has a similar idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment