Saturday, March 19, 2011

Feminism && Relationships

"Someday I will find myself my own Edward Cullen" Hmm, yes. That's definitely what I want in my life. A Edward Cullen. Some ladies wish to be one with their partner. 'Two halves make a whole' sort of thing. That's not me. I want to be an individual, I want to have someone in my life that helps me be a better individual but is not necessarily a part of me.

Maybe that's why I don't have anyone? Because I don't accept that I am a half of a person. That I am not searching for my other half. I'm searching for an equal. I'm searching for a life partner.


Forgive me for making this personal, but in the past 8 months, I've been dumped 3 times. Each time, it was for reasons "it's not you, it's me". 3 times it wasn't me. I can't help but believe then, it is me.


First, I turned back to my first true love: books.


I mean, if Bella can get her Edward, I can certainly get a so-and-so.


The Twilight series was the last teen series I read. And I am sad, I wasted that amount of time on those books.


So after returning for a millisecond, just to figure out the majority of books support the 'two half makes a whole' theory, I turned to music.


And I am not a very big music person, I listen to the songs my sister puts on my iPod.


I found Music that sympathized with what I was going thru, which I appreciated. People actually feel the way I am thinking or they sing the way I am feeling.


But searching deeper, when I found songs about relationships, they also supported the two halves make a whole.


I'm my own damn person. Forgive me for the language. But it's true. I am...or I try to be.


Our media is telling us, in order to have a healthy relationship, we have to be a half of a person.


I like my left and right side equally. I'm not giving up either side of me.


Is a equal relationship where two individuals support each other that hard of a task?


One of my co-workers told me that I couldn't date guys because that would be against the feminist way. First of all, this guy loves to push my buttons, so I didn't really take it up with him. Second of all, does being feminist (which I don't even claim I am the majority of the time) make you unable to have real long-lasting relationships?


Originally written on 3/19/11. With held publishing until 4/6/11. Thank you all for the positive feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment