Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Feminist Label

Upon looking at a definition on urbandictionary.com: I found that the word Feminist is considered a "radical" opinion. But that was just the first opinion, on scrolling down, I find out that some writers have more realistic definitions of a feminist. Which made me very happy.

I don't go a day with out someone calling me a feminist. And maybe, in their own world of definitions I am. According to most dictionaries, a feminist is someone who advocates for the rights of women. Sure, I try to do that, but in case and case, I don't consider myself one.

And it's not because I am against feminism, or the rights of women. It's because labels, to me, confine people to acting a certain way. It's because labels also make people a "spokesperson" so to speak on that subject. And that last one, is why I am not going to call myself a feminist.



If I call myself a feminist, I may appear to others that I am a expert on all women issues. I am not.
If I call myself a feminist, I may appear to others that I love everything feminist. I do not.
If I call myself a feminist, and speak my mind, I am representing feminist views, whether that view is feminist or not.

I do not think I am educated enough to be given the label of feminist. But I avoid labeling myself in any other situation as much as possible.

I do not want to be confined and I don't want to be a representative more than possible. I want to be seen as a human, first. Then maybe I will consider the rest of my qualities later. If we say someone acts a certain way because she is a feminist, what are we sinking to? What are the consequences? I often tell people to not make assumptions about my actions because I am a woman, just accept it for me. I tell people to not make excuses for themselves in my job everyday, because of who they are. You are you. Yes, you're qualities and who you define yourself is important, but that doesn't mean that everything you do comes back to that quality.

"She's just acting that way because she is black." Okay, well, maybe a lot of people of color act a certain way that may differ from what the white people? I don't think that is a reason.

Why are they acting that way? Is it because they, as a group, are oppressed? Are they conditioned to act that way?
I don't act a certain way because I am a woman. I act a certain way because I was trained to by the society I live in.

And if I label myself, people will just excuse my behavior to some of the labels I carry with me. I want to be held responsible for my actions. I am acting that way because I am a human.

No comments:

Post a Comment