Monday, February 28, 2011

Men On Mondays: objectifying men as penguins


So all I know is that Oscar is the trash can from the Sesame Street, until last night, that is. When I guess an award show goes on and they give the stars a trophy for 'doing a good job'.

I obviously don't watch them.

This morning as I was working out, I turned the channel to the Today Show. I enjoy fashion (I think dresses are pretty). And the Today show was evaluating the fashion at the Oscars.

So I sped up on the dreadmill and started running.

Usually I would comment on how pretty the dresses were. But today all I saw was the women's sleek and slender body. No curves, no boobs, just flat. And the dresses were tightly against the body.

Now some people tell me that I am wrong when I say men aren't as objectified as women in our culture. I'm gonna show you, how I feel that men are not objectified as much as women to any extent, in every form of media.

I'm gonna show you what Johnny Depp wore to the Oscars first:


Not bad, Johnny. He looks distinguished and you can see that he has a nice body....wait, what? No, you can't!!
I wanna see what other male stars wore. Because Johnny was just not a good example of male objectification in our culture. Sorry Johnny!














So here is what these male stars wore:

Aww much better, I can see the definition in their abs, and their muscles in their arms.

Yeah right, still can't see a thing.

They look like Penguins. And they all look alike.





How are women objectified in the Oscars you ask?

Let me show you.

Exhibit A:
Tight dresses that show off your curves and your great body. But don't worry, you won't be able to move (or sit down) all night.


Overall, this is a tasteful choice of dress, however and does not exactly prove my point.
















This next one might do the trick:
Exhibit B:


This is not from this year, but I did see several dresses that were completely see-through and "rewarded" for being best dressed.











"What's the big deal, Hannah? "

The big deal is that women are scrutinized not only to be best dressed but to be in good shape, while guys get to hobble around looking like penguins, under no pressure to "conform" to looking good. (Look at the older men that have gained weight and are still in the view of the world, John Travolta, for example. But people like Jamie Lee Curtis, a woman criticized for gaining weight as a grandmother, gets little attention, so little she actually 'retired'. )

I don't want to know how much these women have 'free choice' in what they were. I hardly doubt they do. Everyone, Everyone had the same style dress on, except for a few "worse dressed" women. They were tight and showed their unshape. (I call it unshape because most of the actresses I saw were sticks, through and through)

Society conforms women to more options with fashion, but then criticizes you if you wore the wrong thing, same thing, wrong color, etc. Until men start wearing their underwear under a veil to these Oscars, then I am going stay with the fact that men are not as objectified in our culture as women. Until then, they are just penguins on the walks of the red carpet.

2 comments:

  1. This is a well thought out post Hannah! It's something a lot of us see, but it really takes a leader to point out the fact that what we see isn't right, since a lot of us can't do it for ourselves! I, quite frankly, think that all of the women in our society these days need to start dressing up instead of dressing down like they have been. Cover up your body parts, but still be proud of what you've got! (Maybe not as proud as Gaga though... *Shudders*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're wondering what I'm talking about, check out her latest video for 'Born This Way.'

    There's being proud of who you are, and then there's cloning yourself to make the 'perfect race.' Maybe a little bit conceited? I think so!

    However, I will say that the song delivers a very strong message that more people, not only women, need to pick up on, even though the sound is rather atrocious!

    ReplyDelete