Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Community

This is a picture I put up on Facebook to show I support Planned Parenthood.


It was a sign that read "I survived because of Planned Parenthood."


Within the first two hours, there was someone that wrote "what about the babies that didn't survive?"


A discussion brewed and a lot of discussion back and forth. (I responded a few times, but then I backed off...they just want the last word sometimes).


I didn't mean I survived abortion, this is the sad thing. I meant, I survived as in lived! I survived my experiences of life, good and bad, and Planned Parenthood helped me with some of that.


The male who first commented has not commented back. it's four hours since I posted that picture and there is 119 comments and 37 likes.


I didn't kill babies or a baby. I don't think abortion is right, of course, who does? But that's my choice.


In class, we talk a lot about the number of comments you have. We call it community. This is definitely not a community in my words. Someone accusing me of killing babies because of my word choice, two people fighting for an hour trying to get each other on the other side, and so forth.

I guess it doesn't depend on the number of comments you have, it depends on the quality of those comments. If the quality is supportive, respectful or informative....then it is a community. If it is like some of this garbage, not so much.


39 likes and counting...


If you support Planned Parenthood, donate or sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment