Tuesday, February 22, 2011

And just when I wanted to not male-bash...

This is ridiculous, this girl is having relationship troubles and he brings up the fact that boys are smarter than girls because they won more awards. SO NOT cool. I waited five minutes to cool down before pointing out his sexist remark.

Yes, guys have won more awards, some guys have won all of the awards, but that does not mean that "boys are not dumb". She was obviously talking about her boyfriend, not classwork, science, nor awards.

Obviously the science industry is male dominated so this is going to be more male winners. OHMGEEE. DUH!

And on the funny note, I really had to tone down my reaction to this. But seriously, I never thought I would get so mad at someone that I don't know on facebook. I was shaking with Anger. He is calling woman stupid because of an award!?!?!?!?!?! That doesn't mean anything.

Okay, it's out now. But I have so many names I just want to call him....
Update on 2/23: The guy who commented the sexist remark about physics deleted his comment. So the next time you come across a sexist remark, it wouldn't hurt to say something about it!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't all the women saying how dumb men are just as sexist as what the guy said? I agree what he said was sexist, but so was everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, yes. They were also being sexist. However, anyone who knew her (which is all her facebook friends because she doesn't add strangers) would know she was talking about one individual boy.

    Yes, basic generalizations are bad and I do not support it. But at the same time, his comment is the worse of them all. Not because it's about women but because
    1. his logic assumes girls and guys are opposites
    2. he is using a male dominated field to show that women are not intelligent.

    It's one thing to say that 'boys are dumb' in times of frustration in a relationship. (For example all of the boys I have dated have been stupid dating wise with me.-experience, not sexism). There is difference between experience and actual facts. She was speaking from experience, not trying to prove that boys are stupid. He was trying to prove that she was wrong by proving girls are more dumb, with in of itself, is a flawed system of logic. Overall, his comment was more harmful, because he was trying to back it up with flawed facts. She was not.

    If she said, "all boys are dumb" I would have messaged her. But because she was obviously speaking from her experiences, then I let it slide.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete