Sunday, February 27, 2011

Feminist stay-at-home-mom?

Well, this goes with a back story. When I tell people I am majoring in women's studies, there are two reactions:
1. They make a joke about it. (Usually sexist)
2. they act like it's a 'normal' major...which it is.

Now I'm fine with people that ask questions about my major of choice, (What do you study, what classes do you have to take, what are you going to do with that degree and so on) but when people make sexist jokes about my major I get a little peeved. Of course, I point out that sexist jokes are part of the reason why we still need women's studies as a department/major/class in colleges.


Moving on to the next part, an acquaintance who took the #1 reaction to my major, actually started verbally attacking me for hating her mother. I have never met her mother, I didn't know one thing about this woman's mother.

Yep, just because I am women's studies major I must hate all mothers that stay at home. I must have a list in my head of people I hate that looks like this:
1. stay at home moms
2. men
3. straight people
4. children
5. anyone else that isn't a feminist

This was not a problem when I told everyone I was a business management major. They didn't assume I hated anyone, they didn't make jokes about my major that are offensive.

What hurts me the most is when people directly ask me if I hate children. Actually, a requirement of the women's studies major is that you hate children. That's usually what I say. Fight fire with humor.

They tell me that I don't want to live a traditional lifestyle. That somehow what I major in reflects on my sexuality and my choices in life. Some people even assume I don't know how to cook, or can't cook. No I can cook, I just can't clean. That's a man's job.

When people start going the traditional lifestyle route in the discussion, I usually get serious. I tell them, my life is not gonna be complete unless I have children of my own. Of course, I don't want them now. But if I don't have children, I would feel unfilled.

I don't judge women who are stay-at-home moms. I would be one if I had children and wasn't so damn resistant of being dependent on anyone. Even when my parents give me money, I find a way to give it back to them. (Which is why they just put it in my bank account or mail it to me now). When I am dating, I get in fights with the guy about how I am going to pay my side of the bill. I know not all people are like this, some of my readers who are college students must be like "you give your parents their money back??!?!?!"

A lot of people believe that feminism is doing everything the opposite of the traditional way. I don't agree with this definition of feminism. I think that women should be given the same opportunities as males, and the rest is in the women's hands. I don't want anyone to feel "forced" to go to college, "forced" to stay at home after they get married. I want them to have choices. If they are given those choices with a fair chance of succeeding, then I will be happy.

If a women chooses to stay at home and make her husband dinner everyday, I'm not gonna say they aren't feminist. They can identify with whatever they want to be. I'm not gonna go in to homes and say that 'this family set up' isn't healthy. (if i suspected abuse, it would be a different story.)

Can feminism and motherhood really mix? I guess this is like the marriage post too, because I really don't have the answer. I just hope it does.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe we can stuff feminism back in Pandora's box and go back to the 50's housewife era as so well illustrated in your photo. We can all go out and buy special "housedresses" to do the cleaning in (so we don't get our good dresses dirty). I hate house cleaning, but I'd sure rather do it wearing jeans than wearing a "housedress."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, this was a very humorous post - I loved it. You know, when I tell people what my major is (Women's Studies) they usually just nod their heads and pretend I said "biology" or "nursing." No one, that hasn't been completely immersed in feminist culture, really knows what the hell a Women's Studies major is. Then, as you mentioned, there are those that crack the sexist jokes. Some even go embarrassingly out of the way to make one. It's sad. For them.

    And with the whole dating thing and paying for your own mean, how does that work for you? I once insisted that I get my half and he, literally, ran up to the counter to pay before I even stood up. It was like a competition to him. I thought that was odd.

    Anyway, Hannah, great blog post. I enjoyed reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, if they want to pay that badly, I would let them pay.

    You can always be sneaky about how you 'pay' him back, if the dates go well, randomly show up with food, buy him groceries, get him some clothes (that were magically on sale when you went to the mall).

    And I am not gonna necessarily fight with a guy that I know I am not going on another date with. haha.

    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete