Monday, January 2, 2012

Welcome 2012!!!

2011 was great, but difficult. I look forward to 2012.

I plan to be healthier as the last 4 months of 2011, I resulted in unhealthy eating and exercise habits. I am giving up Diet Coke and trying to go chemical free. Remember when I went veggie in March? Well, that was just the beginning. I learned that not only am I a pretty awesome vegetarian but I am a wonderful humanitarian and environmentalist.

Last year, I also started using Lunapad products for my menstrual cycle. At first, I was so excited for my period to come so I could test these products! That I paid for. Now I am a confident Lunapad and Diva Cup user. I advocate for women to talk about this product, to consider it and to make sure that they have considered all their options. Some ladies think it is gross that I would talk openly about "Aunt Flow", but like any taboo in culture, not talking about it could lead to some disastrous results. Like not talking about sexual assault, could in fact, silence the many female and male victims to internalize their pain. That's why we have a Sexual Assault Awareness month across the world, to perhaps give voices to the survivors that need to heal. We go through our period for 3 to 7 days a month, that is around 36 to 84 days A YEAR. That's over a month that we have to put tampons in and take them out, deal with bloody underwear, leaks, and stains, be uncomfortable in plastic pads and most importantly, be reminded that we are WOMEN. So let's forget the grossness and remember that we have to deal with it, no matter how silent we make the issue.

In 2011, I stopped shaving for awhile. And believe me, the hits on that blog post was one of the most! How controversial was that blog post? And if that was controversial how is this, I almost never shave, ever. The last time I shaved my legs was in June and the last time I shaved my armpits was in December. How can a personal choice be controversial? Because beauty is commercialized, reproduced in advertisements and films. Beauty is not a personal choice anymore, I doubt it ever was. But you can still choose to make it one!

My single days closed in late July, when I started dating Seth. But that wasn't until after I explored my single life as a feminist woman. I wrote many pieces in which I gave advice to both sexes, here, and here. I reacted to a pop song about an end of a relationship, here. I also created a beautiful equation about feminist relationships that I hoped my romantic relationships would follow, here. I also looked at relationships that doesn't include a man and a woman, maybe it was a man and a man or a woman and a woman. I looked at what the media made us internalize, what was okay and what wasn't. Being single was fabulous, but I have a wonderful partner now and enjoy being in a relationship just as much (sometimes more) than being single. My romance adventures got a lot of hits in 2011, here.

In 2011, I also started looking for male acquaintances that I would consider feminist. I found a ton of men I knew that could be feminist. Not all men are oppressive, actually most can be supportive. You just have to make sure that communication is open and kind to each other.

2012 is gonna be a great year of blog posts and life. So keep reading!!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment