Monday, January 30, 2012

Good Intent sometimes does not have good impact

If there is something that disgusts me more is when people "victim blame". Our society is full of that. But something that I haven't realized is that sometimes, victim blaming has good intentions. What do I mean by that?

I certainly do not mean that victim blaming is good. I am not saying that.Victim blaming is bad. And no victim of domestic abuse or sexual assault is never at blame!!! Never!

Here is what I mean. Consider my friends Facebook status for example:
Is at the library, catching up on some silent study time .... and I happen to look over my shoulder and see a man in his late 40's behind me obviously searching and looking at young teenage girl's provocative photo's on facebook.... he had a wedding ring on and a nasty grin on his ugly face. This is where tragic news stories begin little girls! have respect for yourselves and your bodies! because to this perverted piece of slime behind me, your just an object.... as for him: You give me all the more inspiration to pursue my criminal law degree so I can become the prosecutor that puts scum bags like you in prison .... of course me and my big mouth couldn't just express this on here and as he got up to leave i blatantly said "you will reap what you sew" and continued my reading .... lord bless his soul.

Does anyone else see what is wrong with this status? Pay attention to this fragment of this quote:

This is where tragic news stories begin little girls! have respect for yourselves and your bodies! because to this perverted piece of slime behind me, your just an object....

What? Although this friend was obviously not saying that sexual assault is good. In fact, she was saying it was bad. How are we "little girls" supposed to have respect for our bodies when society does not? This fragment is victim blaming, though that is not the intent.

This reminds me of a workshop I attended this January. It was called "35 Dumb Things Well Intended People Say that Widen the Diversity Gap". We discussed issues like this one. Where the person, obviously had good intent, but it came out all wrong. Just because you had good intent, does not mean your statement will have good impact.

Don't victim blame. It is never good. Always remember the person at fault for the crime that happens is the person that perpetrated it.



No comments:

Post a Comment