Monday, May 2, 2011

Why I am a Women's Studies Major

I'm going start this discussion right now. As I explained at the beginning of this post, people often do not know how to react to the answer "women's studies" when they ask me what my major is. Along with sexist sandwich or wife jokes and pretending to act normal, these are some of the normal responses:

1. What in the world are you going to do after you get out of college?

2. So like what kind of classes do you take?
my favorite, 3. So do you like hate all men?

4. What made you want to do that?

I wish I could record some of these people's tones because you can really tell that they think I am wasting my time in college. My responses vary, depending on the relationship I have with the person from sarcastic to actual attempt to explain what it is.

So I'm starting a new ongoing post theme, kind of like my Men On Mondays-which is hard to do because lately the kind of men I have been dealing with are more animal than human. It's gonna be called......well, I don't really have a good title yet, but it's coming! I'm pretty much going to list the benefits of being a women's studies major (besides meeting some fabulous women!) and answer those questions that you've all been asking me, repeatedly.

I'm gonna start with the easiest question: Why did I choose Women's Studies as my major?

As I have briefly explained before in parts of this post and this post, I did not come to college in Fall of 2009 to become a Women's Studies Major. In fact, I came to college as a business management major. I went through a lot that first year, but even after all that happened, I came back to school as a business management major yet again in 2010.

But as I entered the business core, I realized I just wasn't interested in Accounting, Business Law, Statistics, I dreaded the classes I was going to take. I knew I could do them, it wasn't that the classes were difficult, it was just so boring.

Even the students were kind of boring, they went to class and got up and left at the :50 mark. The professors lectures were dry and well, if I hadn't had a good nights sleep, I would sleep through them there, too.

When a fellow Community Advisor and Honors student asked me what my major is and I replied with a unexcited face, "business management". He told me that I didn't seem that enthusiastic about my major.

I was stunned. You could be enthusiastic about your major? Why didn't anyone tell me this before? You think that would be the time that I would march in to the Advising Office and tell them to change my major.

But it wasn't. I am slow about everything in my life and this definitely was not an exception. That was fall training before school started, I didn't have my epiphany to become a women's studies major until November. Of course that was after I had made sure it wasn't going to slow me down for graduation and made sure that there were many summer course offerings. I even planned out my class schedule for the next two years.

So what you should take from this is that a women's studies major challenges your mind, it sparkles your creativity and it is a lot less boring then a business major. And that is exactly why I am one.

No comments:

Post a Comment