Saturday, July 23, 2011

Why Men Should Take A Women's Studies Course

One of my friends was looking for an elective to take this next fall. I mentioned that he should take women's studies.

His argument went as follows, I do not want to take a Women's Studies course because...:
  • "I'd feel like a creeper"
  • "every girl would look at me and say 'why is he in here?' ugh to pick up chicks!"
  • "they will call me a pig"
Now I understand that it is intimating being in a room of women. We're scary creatures, I mean, we are like programmed to respect all men and give up our lives for our boyfriends/husbands. SOOOO SCARY.

But realistically, I know that most women's studies professors welcome the male students. Why wouldn't they? Males give a completely different perspective. Just like feminism realizes that women of different ethnicity and sexuality may have different experiences and needs. We realize that men may offer a reasonable and logical perspective.

Now not all feminists feel this way. There are a few radical groups of feminists that will not allow men in their groups and will call them a pig. But meeting these radical feminists in these introductory courses is going to be rare. Meeting these radical feminists in a class setting is going to be rare. Women's Studies is like any other class: except you talk about what's going on in the world in basis of sexism, racism, etc. Calling another classmate a pig would not be acceptable in a business class and neither would it be in a women's studies class.

As for people looking at you and judging you, you are pretty much saying that you do not want to take a class because of what others might think or say about you. You probably would not even know those who those people are. I know that in my general education classes no one cared why I was there. It's the same for a general women's studies class. Not taking a class because you care about how others would see you is a lame excuse and shows little courage.

Feminism is not hatred of men. It's about the equality of the sexes. It would be harmful to our movement if we repressed men's feelings and experiences just because of their chromosomal arrangements. Men can use their privilege in society to further our cause and by taking a women's studies class and learning about the issues that affect women day to day-you will be more understanding and maybe in your own way help reach equality.

I know that patriarchy harms men as well as women. I do not want to repress others rights. I want to be equal.

I do not think any man should be scared to take a women's studies class. It's just a class. We talk about issues in our society. Issues that involve humans. Yes, sometimes we talk about how 'men' are the aggressors, the rapists, etc. But we understand that not all men are aggressors or rapists. Not all men are violent. And if you take that class, I am guessing that you are probably not one of the 'bad men'.

Women's Studies is a challenging class as it makes you think about how our societies effect the humans of those societies. You do not have to be a feminist to take a women's studies class. You do not have to be a woman. What you should be is human and willing to learn.

2 comments:

  1. Can you recommend some good courses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. take a class that interests you! introductory course are always nice because it covers a span of issues in a feminist perspective. I enjoyed all my women's studies classes thus far.

    you can even take classes on masculinity.those are always fun. psychology classes, etc etc etc

    ReplyDelete