Friday, July 29, 2011

I pushed myself down the stairs...

So as some of you may know, I got in to a tiff with some concrete the other day while I was on rollerblades. It was not exactly the best night, but I guess it did add to my summer drama.

I look pretty beat up. My arm has a minor fracture and infused joints, so of course I have a cast and a sling. My face also looks like it was banged against the wall.

That's what I wanted to write about today. I have come across a lot of people who assume, sometimes sarcastically, that this was not an accident. "Who beat you?" "Who pushed you down the stairs?" "Were you hit?"

And it is rather amusing to explain that I completely wiped out because I was overconfident on wheels. But not so much that the sexism is still there.

I'd imagine the joke would be with guys: "so how does the other guy look?" "who did you fight with now?"

Sexism at it's finest. In joke form. Offensive is funny, I'll admit it. I laugh at sexist, racist jokes all the time. (I try not to.) Sometime I even make them. (Whoops--that needs to end, I'll admit.)

But the difference that I see is not funny. Why do guys get the power jokes? They have a sense of choice in their injuries. With guys: who did you with? With girls this is: who did this to you?

What I would like to explain to everyone over my blog. This was an accident. And I'm independent (note: also single), if anyone was to push me down the stairs or beat me up: it would be me. I don't let others control me....ever. The only person in charge of my life is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment