Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Cloth Diapering: 3 simple steps!



 I knew I was going to cloth diaper from the beginning. There was no doubt in my mind that I was going to. I use natural cloth products for my menstrual cycle, so cloth diapering was the only route for me to go. I received a lot of criticism for choosing to do it and that fueled my campaign to do it even more. I luckily received cloth diapers from my wonderful second mom (Baby Daddy’s mom) and did not have to make the initial investment although it only comes to about $250 that we used for the last six months of his life.

I recently gave in and bought more covers. Offspring #1 is not wetting or pooping his diapers as much so I am not doing the laundry as much. It did suck that I had to do the diapers in a communal laundry machine at our apartment, but we made through it.  I actually had to soak and scrub the diapers to get them clean with our machines. It was a very bad machine!

I use Econombum prefolds and mostly Bububibi covers (with some Bumkin and other randoms). I wanted to share just how easy it is to wash them and make it apart of the routine. When I was searching for how to cloth diapers, it looked really complicated to me. So I wrote this to counteract all this confusing stuff! 

Side note about my system: I don’t believe in laundry day. That gets too overwhelming for us. So I do a little laundry every day, with two days off in between. It only boils down to about five loads a week. Laundry is the first thing I do, I walk downstairs with the dirties, throw them in the wash, and pull up what I have clean from the day before and put it away.

How to Cloth Diaper! 

STEP ONE: Put a cloth diaper on

Fold the prefold, put in the diaper and snap the diaper on the offspring!

STEP TWO: Take a cloth diaper off

Take off the diaper, clean the butt, and put the dirty diaper away. Optional: If offspring has more solid waste, push it in the toilet. Also, putting the clean diaper on.

STEP THREE: Wash cloth diapers

(This is the system that works for me. If it doesn’t work for you, that’s all right. I had to do it completely different in the apartment.)

I put the dirties in, and choose all the extra cold rinse options on my high efficiency washer. Then I push start. I do not add detergent though sometimes I will add apple cider vinegar for an extra clean!  Then when they are done washing, I put them in the dryer!

It’s about as simple as that! J

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hannah! My name is Heather and I wanted to know if you would be willing to answer my quick question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

    ReplyDelete